Volvo is showing off its innovative Concept 26 vehicle at CES 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. This car joins the ranks of other self-driving vehicles, like those created by Tesla and Google. However, the Concept 26 goes beyond driving itself and is able to continuously stream video entertainment, even during Internet connection interruptions.
In order to do this, Volvo collaborated with telecom provider Ericsson to create streaming services for autonomous cars that avoid interruptions caused by dead spots. Using traffic route predictions, the car is able to select shows that are the same length as the journey, while tailoring bandwidth along the selected route. When patches of network disconnection are experienced, the show will continue to play, as the system will have buffered accordingly before leaving the driveway.
Best of all, this media entertainment will be showcased on a high-definition, built-in screen that rotates conveniently out of the passenger's dashboard, transforming a commuter's car into a personal theater.
CES 2016 Debuts Volvo's Concept 26 Car That Streams Video Offline
1. Autonomous Streaming Vehicles - Opportunity for telecom providers to collaborate with car manufacturers to create streaming services for autonomous cars that avoid interruptions caused by dead spots.
2. Tailored Bandwidth Entertainment - Opportunity for entertainment companies to develop streaming services that tailor bandwidth along the selected route of autonomous vehicles to ensure continuous streaming.
3. In-car Personal Theaters - Opportunity for car manufacturers to innovate in-car entertainment design and technology for an immersive personal theater experience within autonomous vehicles.
1. Automotive - Automakers can collaborate with telecom and entertainment providers to develop streaming services and in-car entertainment designs for autonomous vehicles.
2. Telecommunications - Opportunities for telecom providers to provide streaming services that ensure continuous entertainment streaming for autonomous vehicles, which avoid interruptions caused by dead spots.
3. Entertainment - Opportunities for entertainment companies to create streaming services that tailor bandwidth along the selected route of autonomous vehicles to ensure continuous streaming of immersive personal theater experience.