Scott Hove, the artist behind Cakeland, has taken cake decorating to a serious extreme. According to his description, Cakeland is a refuge from the harsh realities of the world—a place where one can be surrounded by cake. And, in order to stay a safe place, Cakeland needs protection, hence the cake monsters.
Hove’s cake monsters are seriously disturbing. Cakes with teeth, fangs, glowing red eyes…not exactly part of the relaxing escape he described. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to eat these cake monsters. Cakeland is not edible, so the cake monsters are merely protecting the image of a world full of cakes.
Cakeland is a World of Sweets Protected by Cake Dragons
1. Extreme Cake Decorating - The trend towards more intricate and artistic cake decorating is disrupting the traditional baking industry by creating new opportunities for specialized artisanal bakers and cake decorators.
2. Edible Art Installations - Creating edible art installations, like Cakeland, is a growing trend within the food industry and is disrupting the way we think about food as both nourishment and an artistic medium.
3. Exploring the Limits of Food Design - Pushing the boundaries of food design, such as in the creation of scary cake monsters, is a trend that is disrupting traditional notions of food as simply sustenance and introducing new opportunities for edible art and imaginative culinary experiences.
1. Bakery - Bakeries can embrace the trend towards extreme cake decorating and carve out a unique niche in the market by offering higher-end, artisanal cakes and baked goods.
2. Art - The trend of edible art installations is disrupting the traditional art world by introducing new opportunities for artists to experiment with food as a creative medium and create immersive art experiences that engage multiple senses.
3. Food and Beverage - The trend towards exploring the limits of food design is disrupting the traditional food and beverage industry by introducing new opportunities for innovative culinary experiences and food as art, rather than just nourishment.