C Plus Architects Renovated a 1950s University in China

 - Jul 5, 2017
References: archdaily
C Plus Architects, a Chinese firm, recently renovated Teaching Building No. 5 at the Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture, and the results are impressive. The original faculty building was erected in 1956, and it had an industrial feel thanks to high arches, raw wood, and exposed brick. C Plus Architects maintained the most attractive features of this original building and reshaped the remainder, leaving the interior looking impressively modern compared to its original incarnation.

The new Teaching Building No. 5 interior is mostly clad in stark white plaster that covers over virtually all of the exposed brick in the building. However, the architects chose to leave the raw wood beams that criss-cross the ceiling intact and visible, maintaining the industrial history of the building.

The university happens to be the alma mater of the lead architect on the project, lending it special meaning for C Plus.