Created in partnership with Intel and Mobileye, a BMW self-driving car is currently under development with plans to launch to the public by 2021. The goal is to have an almost autonomous car, allowing the driver to sit back and enjoy the luxury ride from the German automaker. The companies are working on the various stages of autonomy such as "eyes off" and eventually "mind off" features, allowing drivers to engage in other activities during their commute.
BMW's end goal is to reach a level in which a vehicle won't even need a human driver to operate it. BMW, Intel, and Mobileye are currently focused on creating a high-definition real-time map, state-of-the-art sensor cluster and high computer power with artificial intelligence. Additionally, they hope the concept vehicle will also feature a real-time environment model, motion control and system integration. Along with this, BMW is still looking to develop its iNext, an all-electric autonomous car to be added to its current i-series.
A BMW Self-Driving Car Concept is Set to Launch by 2021
1. Autonomous Vehicles - The development of self-driving cars by BMW, Intel, and Mobileye presents opportunities for disruptive innovation in transportation and automotive industries.
2. Advanced Sensors - The focus on creating state-of-the-art sensor clusters with artificial intelligence for autonomous vehicles opens up possibilities for disruptive innovation in sensor technology and related industries.
3. Real-time Mapping - The development of a high-definition real-time map for autonomous vehicles creates opportunities for disruptive innovation in mapping and navigation industries.
1. Transportation - The development of self-driving cars by BMW, Intel, and Mobileye has the potential to disrupt the transportation industry by changing the way people commute and travel.
2. Automotive - The advancements in autonomous vehicle technology by BMW, Intel, and Mobileye can disrupt the automotive industry by revolutionizing the driving experience and introducing new business models.
3. Sensor Technology - The focus on creating advanced sensor clusters for autonomous vehicles presents opportunities for disruptive innovation in sensor technology and related industries like robotics and IoT.