As part of Selfridges' Beauty Project, one of its newest initiatives comes in the form of 'Change is a Beautiful Thing,' a video where five older women discuss their perspectives on beauty.
Despite being obviously stylish, well groomed and fashionable, some of the women remark that they don't feel beautiful unless they put effort into it, have never felt that way, or only experienced "beauty" during a certain stage in their lives. The women also go on to talk about their thoughts on cosmetic surgery, beauty icons, what the word beauty means to them and what beauty looks like over the age of 80. The film by Kathryn Ferguson has a strange, compelling sort of tone to it that you can't help but be drawn in by.
The Beauty Project Explores Beauty as Defined by Older Women
1. Empowering Mature Beauty - Offering products and services that promote self-acceptance and celebrate beauty at any age.
2. Rebranding Beauty Standards - Challenging societal norms by showcasing diverse definitions of beauty through older women.
3. Age-inclusive Beauty Industry - Catering to the needs and desires of mature consumers with specialized products and marketing.
1. Cosmetics - Creating makeup and skincare lines specifically designed for mature skin.
2. Fashion - Featuring older models and influencers to promote age-inclusive fashion trends.
3. Film and Media - Producing documentaries and advertisements that challenge traditional beauty ideals and empower older women.