Korteknie Stuhlmacher Architecten is the design studio behind a Dutch holiday home, located on Goeree Overflakkee island. The area is rather scenic, as the home is bordered by fields, sand dunes and trees.
The architects decided to implement a farm-like aesthetic that was inspired by the nearby agricultural buildings. In terms of the home’s configuration, the architects explain, “Just like a traditional farmhouse, the house consists of several elements: a narrow ‘fronthouse’ parallel to the street and a much larger ‘barn’ behind it.” The home remains a modest size in order to keep it from overwhelming the surrounding architecture.
As for the interior, it features an open-plan, double-height kitchen and dining area, a pitched ceiling and large picture windows to better appreciate the view. Finally, the sitting room features a wood-burning stove for additional warmth and coziness.
This Barn House Provides a Cozy Holiday Getaway
1. Rustic Farmhouse Aesthetic - Opportunities for incorporating traditional architectural elements with modern living spaces.
2. Minimalist Holiday Homes - Demand for modestly-sized vacation homes that blend in with the natural landscape.
3. Open-plan Living Spaces - Design solutions for maximizing natural light and creating an indoor-outdoor flow.
1. Architecture - Opportunities for architecture firms to design holiday homes that respect agricultural heritage.
2. Interior Design - Opportunities for creating cozy, minimalist interiors with natural textures and materials.
3. Real Estate - Opportunities for developing modest, eco-friendly vacation homes in scenic rural areas.