Mattel and meditation app Headspace partnered on Barbie Wellness, a range of seven dolls that are designed to introduce kids to various self-care practices. While Barbie has been portrayed with many different careers and interests over the years, this range of dolls puts a particular interest on mental health.
In the Barbie Wellness range, there's Breathe with Me Barbie, who leads guided meditations when her moon-shaped necklace is pressed. There are also dolls devoted to fitness, the spa, relaxation and bathtime.
With a young demographic in mind, Headspace created a series of four-minute mindfulness sessions for kids ages six to eight that can be accessed online. These themed sessions are tailored to mornings, staying positive after experiencing negative thoughts or feelings, cultivating calm or appreciation and settling down after playtime is over.
Image Credit: Mattel
The Barbie Wellness Dolls Introduce Kids to Self-Care Practices
1. Self-care Dolls - The rise of self-care dolls presents disruptive innovation opportunities for the toy industry to create dolls that introduce young children to different mental health practices.
2. Guided Meditation Toys - Guided meditation toys such as the Breathe with Me Barbie present an opportunity for toy companies to create more toys that focus on mindfulness and wellbeing for children.
3. Mental Health Toys - The introduction of mental health toys provides an opportunity for toy industries to introduce the importance of mental health and wellbeing to young children.
1. Toy Industry - The toy industry can capitalize on the self-care Barbie dolls trend by producing other toys that promote mental health activities to a younger demographic.
2. Wellness Industry - The mental wellness industry can find opportunities in partnering with toy companies to create mental wellness products for children.
3. Education Industry - The education industry can take advantage of the self-care doll trend by integrating mental health practices and mindfulness activities into the classroom.