The Arena of Valor World Cup is the first tournament for the wildly successful mobile game, and is set to occur in Los Angeles. Arena of Valor is a 10-person multiplayer online battle area (MOBA) distributed by China-based Tencent Games, and is a western adaptation of the Chinese game Kings of Glory. The title has been a huge hit in the US since its release in January of 2018, and has already gained a large player base.
Hosted by Tencent Games, the Arena of Valor World Cup seeks to position the game as a prime competitor in the emerging mobile eSports space. The tournament is already being recognized by several eSports organizations, such as SK Gaming, Team Liquid, Vitality and Alliance, all of which plan on entering competitors into the tournament. The World Cup is rumored to have a prize pool of $500,000 and is expected to be staged in July of 2018. Prior to the World Cup, Tencent Games will be rolling out a series of regional and collegiate tournaments across the US.
Image Credit: Tencent Games
The Arena of Valor World Cup is a Large-Scale Mobile eSports Event
1. Mobile Esports - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing new mobile eSports games and platforms.
2. Arena of Valor World Cup - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating large-scale mobile eSports events to establish games as prime competitors in the industry.
3. Regional and Collegiate Tournaments - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Organizing tournaments to promote and grow the mobile eSports community.
1. Gaming - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporating mobile eSports into traditional gaming platforms.
2. Esports - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Focusing on the growth and development of mobile eSports as a standalone sector.
3. Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Expanding technological capabilities to support the rise of mobile eSports.