Pantene and its Ambassador Selena Gomez launched the #8or8 campaign in order to benefit the brand's 'Pantene Beautiful Lengths' program. The campaign utilizes social media avenues to encourage people to donate eight inches of hair or $8 towards cancer research.
The monetary donations will aid in research while the hair donations will be used to create beautiful wigs for those who have lost their hair due to cancer treatments. This celebrity-endorsed campaign hopes to raise cancer awareness.
Through a collaborative effort Pantene, Cosmopolitan and Seventeen magazine determined that millennials enjoy having the option to support charity work in their daily lives. By presenting options to those who want to donate, this campaign increases the likelihood of obtaining meaningful support. As stated by Selena Gomez “I love that you can support the cause in a variety of different ways with the #8or8 Challenge.”
The #8or8 Campaign Encourages a Donation of $8 or 8 Inches of Hair
1. Social Media-driven Charity Campaigns - Creating charity campaigns that utilize social media to encourage participation can increase meaningful support and awareness for a cause.
2. Celebrity-endorsed Charity Campaigns - Enlisting the help of well-known figures can bring greater attention and participation to charity campaigns.
3. Sustainable Wigs for Cancer Patients - There is an opportunity to innovate the creation and distribution of wigs made from donated hair to better serve and support cancer patients.
1. Beauty and Personal Care - Beauty and personal care brands can create charity campaigns that align with their values and increase brand loyalty among socially conscious consumers.
2. Publishing - Publishing companies can partner with charities to create unique campaigns that engage their audience and increase brand awareness through a goodwill effort.
3. Medical - Innovation can be made in the development of sustainable wigs and alternative hair solutions for cancer patients, creating an opportunity for medical companies to improve patient experience and care.