When working with an original, it’s important to put you’re own spin on it and Valero Doval certainly does with his unique collages. As Katie Olsen writes, he takes “kitsch, retro, traditional, even Victorian images and work[s] them over with simple geometric shapes that completely change the original.”
Valero Doval turns pups into peculiar (but still cute) circus animals, antiquated portraits become clownish harlequins and other art forms are similarly played with. All the while his experimental collages maintain symmetry, creating a crazy yet cohesive oeuvre for the Spanish artist.
Valero Doval Reworks Traditional Art for Modern Times
1. Geometric Collages - Creating art through reworking traditional images with simple geometric shapes.
2. Symmetrical Manipulation - Maintaining balance and symmetry while experimenting and manipulating pre-existing images.
3. Kitsch Revamp - Transforming outdated, retro images into modern, geometric works of art.
1. Art and Design - Opportunities for artists and designers to create unique works through the manipulation of traditional images and finding new ways to balance and maintain symmetry.
2. Advertising and Marketing - Using the kitsch and retro trend to create visually appealing advertisements and marketing campaigns that incorporate geometric shapes and symmetry.
3. Fashion and Textile Design - Creating unique fabric and textile designs by reworking traditional patterns and images with simple geometric shapes.