Indonesian fashion label MANKIND recently unveiled the Tribes of the Horde lookbook, which showcases the entire collection designed for the Spring/Summer 2019 season. The label continues to dive deeper into the aesthetics of Western America and infusing it through design elements in its products. The latest seasonal capsule evokes this overarching theme through the editorial using Native Americans in horseshoes, camouflage prints, and headdresses.
Notably, the capsule offers items such as shirts with beautifully embroidered details along with a button-up shirt that is adorned in a graphic that references a special photograph. This photograph was taken in New York in an era where an Iroquois chief was insensitively treated. MANKIND spoke about the SS19 collection expressing that "The Wild West is one of the most fictionalized and romanticized periods of American history [...] These insensitivities end when we start to respect.”
MANKIND's Tribe of the Horde Editorial Showcases Its SS19 Line
1. Western American-inspired Aesthetics - Opportunity for fashion brands to incorporate Western American design elements into their collections, creating a unique and visually appealing aesthetic.
2. Ethnic and Cultural Influences in Fashion - Fashion labels can explore incorporating ethnic and cultural references in their designs, fostering inclusivity and promoting social awareness.
3. Utilizing Historical Photographs in Fashion - Fashion designers can leverage historical photographs as inspiration, creating thought-provoking designs that raise awareness and spark conversations.
1. Fashion - Fashion brands can tap into Western American-inspired aesthetics, infusing unique design elements into their collections.
2. Photography - Opportunity for photographers to collaborate with fashion brands, capturing historical and culturally significant photographs to inspire fashion designs.
3. Social Awareness and Inclusivity - Brands and organizations can promote social awareness and inclusivity by incorporating ethnic and cultural references into their fashion designs.