Studio Ghbli already has a themed eatery, known as the Straw Hat Cafe, in its Ghibli Museum but a new Totoro-themed restaurant is set to entice Studio Ghibli fans outside of Japan. Known as May's Garden House Restaurant, this new Studio Ghibli-inspired eatery will be located in Bangkok and will be the first officially licensed Totoro-themed restaurant in the world. The restaurant will open in May 2018 and will include a playground, an orchid glasshouse, a boat water pool and much more.
The decision to open the restaurant in Bangkok was made by Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki, who allegedly fell in love with the chicken wings served at a local food stall. The restaurant will be an extension of this stall and will ensure that the flavors of the stall will be integrated and preserved by the animation studio. Suzuki himself designed the logo and original characters used and featured in the Totoro restaurant.
Image Credit: May's Garden Restaurant
Bangkok Will Play Host to the First Totoro-Themed Restaurant
1. Themed Restaurants - The rise of themed restaurants inspired by popular cartoons and movies presents opportunities for businesses to create immersive dining experiences that appeal to fans.
2. Licensing and Merchandising - The opening of officially licensed cartoon-themed restaurants highlights the potential for businesses to leverage established brands and characters to create unique dining concepts.
3. Experiential Dining - The inclusion of playgrounds and interactive elements in cartoon-themed restaurants showcases the growing trend of experiential dining, where customers seek unique and engaging dining experiences.
1. Hospitality and Tourism - The hospitality and tourism industry can capitalize on the popularity of cartoon-themed restaurants by creating destination dining experiences that attract guests from around the world.
2. Entertainment and Media - The entertainment and media industry can explore opportunities to expand their licensing and merchandising efforts by partnering with restaurants to create immersive dining experiences based on popular cartoon franchises.
3. Food and Beverage - The food and beverage industry can innovate by incorporating cartoon-themed elements into their menus and presentation, offering customers a fun and memorable dining experience.