Toby Harvard, a professional photographer, is celebrated for his use of unconventional lighting, which he implements in much of his portraiture.
While he also shows an interest in urban landscapes, nature and wildlife, his body of work is held together with a surreal filter that stays consistent. For the majority of his portraits, he focuses in on the profiles and backs of his subjects, allowing him to use the neon lights to his advantage and bring a dark and moody element to the scenes.
With this, he generates expressionistic imagery that speaks to the emotions of his subjects, as well as their state of being. In doing so, he allows his viewers to delve into another's personal moments as they see them in situations that are made to look like they're completely alone.
Toby Harvard Captures Subjects in a Unique and Expressionistic Way
1. Unconventional Lighting Techniques - Exploring unconventional lighting techniques in photography can create unique and expressionistic images.
2. Use of Neon Lights in Photography - Using neon lights to create dark and moody images can add an element of surrealism to photography.
3. Emotional and Expressive Portraiture - Focusing on the emotions and state of being of subjects in portraiture can generate expressionistic imagery with a surreal filter.
1. Photography - Implementing unconventional lighting techniques and using neon lights in photography can disrupt the traditional way of capturing subjects.
2. Art - Exploring unconventional lighting techniques and generating emotional and expressive portraiture can create unique and impactful pieces of art.
3. Advertising - Using unconventional lighting techniques and neon lights in advertising photography can capture attention and create a moody or surreal atmosphere, effectively disrupting traditional advertising photography.