Last fall, Alibaba Group launched a Netflix-like streaming service called 'Tmall Box Office' in China. With a format similar to the American video service, Tmall Box Office gives Chinese consumers an easy way to stream videos and TV shows on-demand.
Tmall Box Office is similar to Netflix in that users pay a monthly or annual subscription fee to stream video content. Unlike other streaming services in China, only 10% of this content is available for free, with the remaining 90% available after purchase. This means that users can either pay per episode or select an ongoing payment plan. The platform includes both Chinese and foreign TV shows, as well as original programming created by Alibaba Group.
With the launch of Alibaba's new platform and similar services such as Letv, Tencent Video and Iqiyi, it is clear that there is a growing interest in on-demand video streaming in China.
Chinese Streaming Services
More Stats +/-
Critic-Curated Streaming Services
Ultra HD Movie-Streaming Services
VR Streaming Apps
Comedy-Only Streaming Services
African American Streaming Services
Free 2018 Report & eBook
Get the top 100 trends happening right NOW -- plus a FREE copy of our award-winning book.
Our Research Methodology
This article is one of 350,000 experiments. We use crowd filtering, big data and AI to identify insights.
'Tmall Box Office' Gives Viewers Access to Chinese and Foreign Content
- By: Katherine PendrillJun 3, 2016