Turning fictional characters into saints, the Spiritual Hero series by artist Antonio Strafella seeks to put a holy spin on superheroes and villains. Strafella's beautiful illustrations each show a different character redone as a bronze saint-like statue. Dressed in robes and placed in a magnanimous pose, each hero truly looks like a saint.
Although the Spiritual Hero collection may be considered sacrilegious, Strafella's intention was to explore the similarities between saints and modern day heroes. According to the artist, "These icons have various aspects in common: saints do miracles and superheroes have superpowers, both are venerated." By showing us what popular superheroes look like as saints, Strafella is demonstrating how biblically influenced our modern characters are.
The Spiritual Hero Series Transforms Heroes into Saints
1. Spiritual Hero Series - Transforming superheroes into saints for inspiration and novelty
2. Bronze Saint-like Statues - Creating a feeling of reverence and Godliness in pop culture through artistic bronze sculpture
3. Biblically Influenced Characters - Showing how modern day heroes and characters are influenced by religious themes and narratives
1. Art and Design - Artists creating new and innovative ways to blend religions and pop culture
2. Entertainment - The entertainment industry embracing new portrayals of iconic characters to stand out and create a unique fanbase
3. Religion and Spirituality - Religious experts exploring new ways to bring cultural relevance to their teachings through pop culture integration