We've seen a number of bigger names embrace the power of the blogosphere, from General Motors to Chanel.
Now Sony is testing the influential powers of the blogging world with the release of Sony Foam City, a TV spot which shows Miami being transformed into a huge swamp of bubbles. They used the world's largest foam machine for the shoot, producing two million litres of foam a minute.
Sony invited 200 guests, including bloggers, to attend the shoot for the new ad, each person armed with a complimentary Sony camera to document the 'making of' process. Their hope is that the new marketing approach for the Sony Handycam and Cybershot will launch the ads to a viral state.
Bigger companies like Sony are releasing that by putting the ads into the hands of customers, especially "leaked" commercials, they can save thousands, if not millions, on their advertising budgets.
Just look at Sony's Bravia commercials. Before they released Paint (buildings being splattered in multi colours) and Play Doh (colourful bunnies invading Manhattan) bloggers had already snapped up images way before the release date.
Sony Foam City
1. Blogger Marketing - Big companies like Sony are inviting bloggers to attend shoots for new ads to document the 'making of' process and promote the ads to a viral state.
2. Viral Advertising - By putting ads into the hands of customers and releasing 'leaked' commercials, companies like Sony can save thousands on their advertising budgets.
3. Immersion Marketing - Companies like Sony are using immersive marketing experiences, like the transforming of Miami into a foam city, to make a memorable impression on consumers.
1. Consumer Electronics - Companies within the Consumer Electronics Industry, like Sony, can benefit from viral and immersive marketing experiences to promote new products and save on advertising budgets.
2. Advertising - The Advertising Industry can benefit from utilizing blogger marketing strategies and viral advertising techniques to create buzz and promote products for their clients.
3. Social Media - Social Media Industry players can offer services to companies like Sony to create and launch viral and immersive marketing campaigns on popular social media platforms.