'Soft Sound' is a project from EJTECH that makes it possible for pieces of fabric to be turned into fully functional speakers.
To create the Soft Sound speakers, conductive materials like copper and silver coils are laser-cut into a fabric, allowing the wearer to hear as well as feel the vibrations of music. As such, the speakers create an entirely new, multi-sensory way to experience music. As EJTECH explains, Soft Sound is the "recontextualization of textile and flexible surfaces as an electroacoustic transducer for conversation of an audio signal into sound."
As the metal coils can be laser-cut onto a variety of fabrics, not just wearables, this project could also potentially inspire the creation of innovative wall panels for the home, or other fabric accessories that could emit sound.
EJTECH's 'Soft Sound' Project Turns Fabrics into Functional Speakers
1. Soft Fabric Speakers - Fabric being transformed into fully functional speakers through conductive materials and laser-cut coils opens new opportunities for wearable devices, sensory music experiences, and interior design.
2. Multi-sensory Music Experience - Soft Sound speakers open the door to new ways of experiencing music through a combination of hearing and feeling the vibrations of sound.
3. Recontextualization of Textiles - Using textiles as electroacoustic transducers could revolutionize the way we think about interior design, fashion, and wearable technology.
1. Interior Design - The Soft Sound project could inspire the creation of innovative wall panels, furniture, and other surface materials that have integrated sound capabilities.
2. Fashion - The integration of conductive materials and laser-cut coils on fabric has potential to create new fashion accessories that could emit sound, and utilize multi-sensory experiences.
3. Consumer Electronics - Exploring the concept of wearable, soft-fabric speakers could lead to entirely new categories of electronics, headphones, and other audio devices.