New York City has a world-renowned public transportation system, but with the New York City Carpet from South African design studio 'Shift Perspective', people can get from Harlem to Bedford-Stuyvesant in a single bound. The cute rug is like an adult version of the street rugs from doctors' offices, faithfully recreating every block of New York City's boroughs. So while one can't literally jump across the city, they can get the big city feel in their own homes.
Not only is the New York City Carpet a faithful representation of the city in terms of its mapping, but Shift Perspective added an extra layer of accuracy. This carpet is topographical, so the blocks representing buildings are raised above the black street lines, and the blue of the Hudson and East rivers are lowest of all.
Shift Perspective's New York City Carpet is a Map of the Metropolis
1. Topographical Rugs - Opportunity to create rugs with raised topographical features for a unique and accurate representation of cities.
2. Map-based Home Decor - Trend of incorporating city maps into home decor items like rugs, pillows, and wall art.
3. Urban-inspired Interior Design - Growing demand for interior design elements that capture the essence of urban environments like New York City.
1. Home Furnishings - Disruptive innovation opportunity for home furnishings companies to create map-inspired rugs and decor items.
2. Interior Design - Opportunity for interior designers to capitalize on the trend of using city maps as a design element in residential and commercial spaces.
3. Tourism and Souvenir - Market potential for businesses in the tourism and souvenir industry to offer map-themed products that resonate with New York City visitors.