We recently profiled Delicate Fortress Creations, an online "shop with purpose" that sells fashion and accessories that empower victims of human trafficking and social injustice through ethical employment opportunities.
One of their suppliers is Scarlet Threads, which is based in a small, poor village in rural China and is dedicated to supporting the artisans and local community. They sell products that range from pillowcase dresses to aprons in colourful prints and flax fiber bags lined with vibrant patterns. All the products are fair trade and created by artisans in China.
"Here, we've watched families separated for months so that they can try to earn more money to pay back a loan they borrowed to pay for stitches to sew up a bad cut," the website explains. "We've heard stories of families in our village who couldn't afford the medical care their children needed, and their children died. Families who go without meals so that they can save money for their child to attend the village school."
The company was co-founded by Jacob and Carrie McKean, a husband and wife who moved to rural China in 2007 where they began working with orphans with special needs. They also work with a local nonprofit and foster home where Jacob oversees volunteer services and Carrie works in PR.
They launched Scarlet Threads in 2009 to help alleviate social injustices induced by poverty. Instead of being dependent on donations, they developed a sustainable and empowering business model that is supported by fair trade.
Scarlet Threads is run by an international team of 12 that ranges from their marketing and social media maven in Houston, TX to the lead seamstress in Beijing.
Scarlet Threads website
Scarlet Threads on Twitter
Scarlet Threads on Facebook
Scarlet Threads Sells Vibrant Fashion to Create Employment in Rural China
1. Fair-trade Fashion - Scarlet Threads utilizes sustainable and empowering business model that is supported by fair trade.
2. Purposeful Shopping - Delicate Fortress Creations is an online 'shop with purpose' that sells fashion and accessories that empower victims of human trafficking and social injustice.
3. Ethical Employment Opportunities - Scarlet Threads sells fair-trade products that empower artisans and local communities in rural China by providing ethical employment opportunities.
1. Fashion Industry - Utilizing a sustainable and ethical business model could disrupt the fast fashion industry, encouraging consumers to make more conscious purchasing decisions.
2. Non-profit Sector - Scarlet Threads' partnership with the local nonprofit could inspire more non-profits to embrace sustainable business models that empower disadvantaged communities.
3. Social Enterprise - Scarlet Threads' success as a social enterprise could signal an opportunity for startups to create innovative business models that provide ethical and sustainable employment opportunities.