In a mission to make safe water and sanitation more readily available to those in need, Matt Damon took part in a marketing campaign that promotes the 'Jason Bourne' film that's set to premiere in theaters in the summer of 2016.
In order to do this, Matt Damon calls up unsuspecting Los Angeles shoppers, with an actor giving them a phone and simply saying "The call is for you, answer it." Once Matt Damon gets their attention on the phone, he tells those on the other end to retrieve an envelope from a man standing on a bridge, after complimenting a stranger's child and buying a hot dog to add to the comedic value. They're later told to go to the location where he's located, with the Jason Bourne actor eventually revealing himself to them.
Those who went along with the absurd instructions were awarded with a private viewing and drinks with the actor at the after party. The prank was done in collaboration with 'Omaze' in order raise money for 'water.org,' a company which works to provide safe water and sanitation in the developing world -- a charitable cause that Matt Damon has spoken for many times before.
Matt Damon Raised Money for Safe Water and Sanitation Efforts
1. Charitable Prank Campaigns - The success of the campaign demonstrates the potential for this kind of structure for increasing awareness and funding for non-profit causes.
2. Celebrity Collaborations for Social Change - Pairing celebrities with non-profit organizations could be a viable way to leverage social influence for positive global impact.
3. Alternative Fundraising Methods - The 'Omaze' fundraising platform provides an innovative way for individuals and organizations to make a difference and raise money more easily than traditional methods.
1. Film and Entertainment - Collaborations between charities and entertainment industries can result in mutually beneficial promotion and greater social impact.
2. Non-profit and Social Enterprises - Increased use of alternative fundraising methods can allow non-profits and social enterprises to raise awareness and funds for important causes with greater ease and creativity.
3. Marketing and Advertising - Marketing campaigns that align with non-profit causes provide an innovative way for companies to engage with consumers and increase positive brand recognition.