In an effort to dispel harsh and unproductive stereotypes, Rethink Homelessness has launched Cardboard Stories. Taking the common signage often used to appeal for money in ways that range from funny to sad, the Rethink Homelessness movement has become more of a confessional. The homeless are invited to reveal a surprising fact about themselves, which grants more insight into their current situation.
Combing the street of Orlando, Florida, the Rethink Homelessness program highlighted people who knew who to speak multiple languages and were once promising athletes. Some people escaped from domestic abuse while others are suffering from medical conditions that basically bankrupted them. There is a story behind every displaced person and Rethink Homelessness endeavors to give them a platform to share theirs.
Rethink Homelessness Brings More Context to People's Situations
1. Humanizing Homelessness - Opportunity for companies to create products and services that will help restore dignity and humanity to homeless individuals and families.
2. Storytelling Marketing - Brands can leverage the power of storytelling to break down stereotypes and raise awareness while building a more authentic connection with their audience.
3. Empathy as a Business Strategy - The ability to understand and resonate with diverse values, needs and experiences is a competitive advantage with a positive societal impact.
1. Non-profit and Social Welfare - A space for organizations and programs that work with integrating homeless individuals and families back into society while raising awareness and changing perspectives on homelessness.
2. Marketing and Advertising - A space for marketing strategies and campaigns that prioritize empathy and storytelling, promoting social responsibility that reflects customers' needs and values.
3. Technology - New technological tools and innovation can be created to better address the systemic and social issues around homelessness, from accessing to affordable housing to training and job opportunities.