In a scheme that benefits multiple parties, inmates are able to help African community projects with refurbished bikes. Elephant Bike recycles old Royal Mail bicycles with the help of prisoners in the UK and locals in Malawi in an effort to raise funds for vital services.
Based on a buy one, give one model, people can purchase refurbished bikes online. This gives customers the chance to own a piece of British heritage while also potentially changing the lives of others. The professionally restored bikes are also limited edition, so there is an element of urgency with this campaign.
The "robust and reliable" bikes were handmade in the United Kingdom. 20,000 of them were saved from landfills in order to benefit the Krisavec Project and Chilomoni Township. The money raised and bikes provided can make a real difference.
These Refurbished Bikes are Cleaning up Britain and Helping Malawi
1. Prison Programs for Social Good - Opportunity to create similar programs in correctional facilities that provide skills training for inmates and benefit charitable causes.
2. Buy One, Give One Business Model - Opportunity for businesses to adopt this model and donate a product to a charitable cause with each purchase made.
3. Upcycling and Sustainability - Opportunity to create sustainable business models that upcycle and refurbish items in an effort to reduce waste and promote environmentalism.
1. Sustainable Transportation - Opportunity to create more eco-friendly transportation options through upcycling and refurbishing old bikes.
2. Prison Industry - Opportunity to develop inmate-led initiatives that provide skills training and aid charitable causes.
3. Socially Responsible Retail - Opportunity for businesses to market themselves as socially responsible by adopting buy one, give one models or partnering with charitable causes for their products.