For the last few years, the P.E.I Potato Board has been hard at work developing a new potato bag design to honor its Prince Edward Island potatoes. The new bag is designed to mimic the look of a burlap material and brandishes a small map of the Canadian island at its center.
The new bags were launched by the P.E.I. Potato Board as a way to convince more potato producers on the island to go with these industry bags, versus individual branding. With this packaging, consumers are better able to identify and take home bags of P.E.I. produce. Kendra Mills, the P.E.I. Potato Board's marketing director says: "Packaging is arguably our biggest asset. And we don't have big budgets for commercials, so this is the one thing that every single consumer takes home with them."
The more producers that use the potato bag, the stronger the Prince Edward Island potato brand becomes. The biggest bonus is that the bag's new materials are actually more cost-effective than what's currently being used in the industry for transporting potatoes to consumers.
The PEI Potato Bag Designs Celebrate the Produce's Proud Heritage
1. Heritage Packaging Design - Opportunity for businesses to create new packaging designs that honor their products' heritage and cultural significance as a way to attract consumers.
2. Collaborative Industry Branding - Opportunity for industries to work collaboratively on branding efforts that increase the value of their collective products and create a stronger brand identity for their region.
3. Cost-effective Materials - Opportunity for businesses to explore new materials that are cost-effective and more environmentally friendly as a way to reduce transportation costs and appeal to environmentally-conscious consumers.
1. Produce - Produce industry can benefit from collaboration and industry-wide branding to increase the recognition and value of their collective products.
2. Packaging - Opportunity for packaging companies to develop new designs that highlight the heritage and cultural significance of the products they are transporting.
3. Transportation - Transportation industry can benefit from exploring new, cost-effective materials and technologies to reduce costs and increase environmental sustainability.