Each year, Halloween rolls around with its own set of pop culture parodies, characters from the most-talked-about movie, joke-worthy political icons and their accompanying slew of popular Halloween costumes.
These popular Halloween costumes are the ones that are the most relevant, the cleverest and the most flattering overall. They are also the ones that are the simplest to pull off but look the most impressive -- while also running the risk of making their wearers one out of 15 Game of Thrones characters at any given party.
In this infographic, the most popular Halloween costumes of each year for the last 20 years are compiled. They encapsulate the memories of Halloweens past, like 2003, when men everywhere borrowed their girlfriends', sisters' and mothers' eyeliner, donned ill-advised wigs of waist-length dreads and spent the night as Captain Jack Sparrow. Or 2013, when all it took was a foam finger and a stuck-out tongue to be a Miley Cyrus look-alike. Halloween always brings unforeseeable adventures but this infographic takes the mystery out of the most popular Halloween costumes of the past 20 years.
This Picture Shows 20 Years of the Most Popular Halloween Costumes
1. Pop Culture Halloween Costumes - Opportunity for companies to create trendy and innovative costumes based on current popular culture icons and references.
2. DIY Halloween Costumes - Increased interest in simple and clever DIY Halloween costumes can inspire retailers and manufacturers to create affordable costume solutions that cater to the DIY trend.
3. Political Halloween Costumes - As political discourse becomes a more prominent part of pop culture, there is an opportunity for companies to create satire-based Halloween costumes that reference political events and figures.
1. Retail - Retailers can capitalize on the popularity of Halloween by marketing specialized costumes, supplies, and accessories to customers.
2. Entertainment - The entertainment industry can create content and merchandise based on popular costumes and trends that emerge each year during the Halloween season.
3. Manufacturing - Manufacturers can create innovative, high-quality costumes that appeal to consumers looking for unique costumes that stand out from the crowd.