While full-figured fashions have been trending in North America, Australia, and the U.K., France is just starting to catch on. With 40 percent of the female population a size 14 and only five percent a size 6, the world's fashion capital is having a bit of a revolution in a culture where full figured women have always been looked down upon. Anticode started in France as a community of bloggers, Facebook and Twitter followers along with a YouTube channel, as an outlet for the 12 plus sized French women to find clothes in their size which was difficult as many designers in the country stop sizes at 12.
In March 2012, this online community with over 85,000 followers, started an e-shop where they gathered all of the designers offering size 12 and more. This garnered the attention of brand 2026, which did a capsule collection to celebrate the launch for ss12. In addition to French women, no longer having to reply on trips abroad to get their fashion fix, a dedicated area to vintage has been added to the site.
Anticode is an Online Community in France Devoted to Plus Size Models
1. Emerging Full-figured Fashion Market - Opportunity for designers and retailers to tap into the growing demand for fashionable clothing for plus-size individuals in France.
2. Online Communities for Size-inclusive Fashion - Potential for the development of online platforms and communities dedicated to curating and promoting clothing options for plus-size individuals.
3. Increasing Acceptance of Full-figured Women - Changing societal attitudes towards full-figured women present opportunities for brands to challenge traditional beauty standards and embrace diverse body types.
1. Fashion Retail - Retailers can capitalize on the emerging market for full-figured fashion in France by offering a wide range of stylish clothing options for plus-size individuals.
2. Online Marketplaces - Platforms that curate and feature size-inclusive fashion can provide a centralized space for designers and retailers to reach and connect with the growing community of plus-size fashion enthusiasts.
3. Body Positive Brands - Opportunity for brands to disrupt the fashion industry by promoting inclusive messaging and creating clothing lines that cater to all body sizes and shapes.