A professor at the University of Maryland, Aniket Bera started a personal project during quarantine after the COVID-19 outbreak using AI technology to color a classic Satyajit Ray film, Pather Panchali. The film uses artificial intelligence to color the scenes and Bera uploaded the 2.14 minute long video earlier in May, garnering attention globally.
He speaks about his project, “again, this is not the way to watch the movie but only an academic experiment. A lot of US professors and researchers experiment with so many old footage from the West. I wanted to try it out on something very close to my heart!" The process of incorporating colors and restoring the cinematic scenes took about 6-7 hours with no manual input required.
Image Credit: Aniket Bera
Aniket Bera Started a Personal Project Coloring the Classic Pather Panchali
1. AI-colored Retro Films - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: AI technology can be used to colorize classic films, providing a new and enhanced viewing experience.
2. Quarantine Projects - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: The COVID-19 quarantine has inspired individuals to start personal projects and experiment with new technologies.
3. Artificial Intelligence in Film Restoration - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: AI technology can be utilized in film restoration processes, saving time and effort compared to manual restoration methods.
1. Film and Entertainment - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: The film industry can leverage AI technology to enhance and restore classic films, attracting audiences with new viewing experiences.
2. Technology and Innovation - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: The advancements in AI technology open up opportunities for innovation and experimentation in various industries.
3. Academia and Research - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Academics and researchers can utilize AI technology to experiment with and analyze old footage, developing new insights and discoveries.