Stand-up comedy is a thriving art form in the UK, and NextUp is a new, niche streaming service designed to give fans of stand-up a direct line to the latest specials available in the country. Though Netflix has a healthy catalog of stand-up specials, NextUp hopes to differentiate itself based on its business model.
To be sure, NextUp's offerings are a very niche media segment: stand-up specials from UK comedians. However, the monthly fee is incredibly low compared to more generalized streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime, making it easier for consumers to make that monthly commitment. Further, NextUp is designed to help in funding comedians. 50 percent of all revenue towards NextUp goes to the comedians who provide the content, and the company provides free rehearsal space for comedians in its London office.
NextUp Streams UK Stand-Up Comedy and Helps Fund Comedians
1. Niche Streaming Services - The success of NextUp's low-cost subscription-based model demonstrates disruptive innovation opportunities for other niche streaming services that provide specialized content.
2. Support for Emerging Artists and Independent Content Creators - NextUp's business model that provides revenue shares and free rehearsal spaces for comedians creates disruptive innovation opportunities for other industries to support emerging artists and independent content creators.
3. Alternate Funding Models - NextUp's alternative revenue-sharing model is disruptive, creating opportunities for businesses to explore alternative funding models to support creators while keeping costs low for consumers.
1. Entertainment - The entertainment industry can benefit from disruptive innovation opportunities created by NextUp's alternate funding model for content creators, potentially leading to emerging artists getting more exposure and opportunities.
2. Subscription Services - NextUp's low-cost subscription model is disrupting the streaming industry and presents opportunities for other industries to adopt similar models that cater to niche audiences and provide specialized content.
3. Shared Revenue Models - NextUp's revenue-sharing model presents an opportunity for other industries to explore alternate funding models that provide support to content creators while keeping low costs for consumers, making them more accessible and valuable.