The items that one might recognize as providers of delicate sources of light have been reworked to form Middle Finger Candles. The soft and melting wax material has been sculpted shockingly to gesture a hard and offensive sentiment.
Artist Nao Matsumoto first created the flaming flipping-off hands in protest against the nuclear power plants of Japan. The iconic accessories have since been introduced into other causes as symbols for reprimanding corporations and government activities.
Each one is a little unique, modeled fluidly on the life-size form of a cursing fist. The wicks of the Middle Finger Candles are embedded in the central derogatory digits, causing them to liquify first after the flame is lit. A limited edition series was made for Spoon & Tamago with profits going to the artist's next activist events.
Middle Finger Candles Shine a Light for the Lost and Protest Nuclear Power
1. Offensive Candles - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating candles with provocative designs and messages for symbolic protests and activism.
2. Symbolic Activism - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing products that serve as symbols for reprimanding corporations and government activities in various causes.
3. Unique Sculpted Candles - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Designing and producing sculpted candles that offer a different and edgy aesthetic compared to regular candle designs.
1. Artisanal Candle Making - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporating artistic elements and unique designs into the candle making process to cater to niche markets.
2. Activism and Protest Accessories - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating and marketing accessories that symbolize activism and serve as tools for protest.
3. Sustainable and Alternative Energy - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Promoting and supporting sustainable and alternative energy sources to reduce the reliance on nuclear power plants.