Louis Vuitton and Damien Hirst have teamed up to create a collection of luggage entitled, “95 SECRETAIRE SPÉCIAL CASE.” Hirst’s inspiration for the case was David Cronenburg’s movie Dead Ringers.
Of course the Louis Vuitton and Damien Hirst collaboration contains the artist’s signature motifs: skulls and butterflies. Two silver skulls are encrusted on the inside of the lid of the black leather twin trunks that are lined with dark blue velvet and printed with colorful butterflies.
Hirst isn’t the only person LV is collaborating with on the collection chef Ferran Adrià will design a Travel Case, photographer Annie Leibovitz the Nomadic Photographer’s Bag, musician and composer Gustavo Santaolalla the Ronrocco Case and Patrick-Louis Vuitton, the head of Louis Vuitton’s Special Orders department and a member of the fifth generation of the Vuitton family will design a Watercolor case.
Louis Vuitton and Damien Hirst Team Up to Create Special Luggage
1. Luxury Art Collaborations - The trend of luxury brands collaborating with artists, musicians and other creatives in order to produce unique products with a story behind them creates opportunities for disruptive marketing campaigns and expanding brand awareness.
2. Obscure Accessories - The incorporation of unconventional materials and designs into high-end accessories trends towards creating valuable items that stand out from other luggage, jewelry, and apparel, boosting both customer loyalty and demand.
3. Functional Design Galleries - The trend of eyewear, luggage and accessory companies actively showcasing functionality and versatility in their products as design elements can create a disruptive showroom and direct-to-consumer retail strategy that drives up buyer / collector interest.
1. Luxury Fashion Brands - Louis Vuitton's collaboration with Damien Hirst suggests that the luxury fashion industry has stepped up producing unique collaborations and limited editions with artists as a way to drive competitiveness and secure additional customer base.
2. Art and Design - The incorporation of art and design into popular high-end items, such as luggage, jewelry and apparel forecasts a production trend which may lead to lucrative artist licensing deals and long-term collaboration contracts for manufacturers.
3. Travel and Tourism - Luxury luggage products like the LV collaboration with Hirst provide tourists and business travelers a way to upgrade their experience while adding a story to their travel experience, expanding growth opportunities for the travel and tourism industry.