In May 2020, a gridded system was installed in Piazza Giotto—"a square in the town of Vicchio near Florence, Italy." The piece introduced a uniformity that is satisfying to the eye and when observed from above, the gridded system definitely exuded a strong design aesthetic. This installation is called 'StoDistante' and is conceptualized by Italian creative practice Caret Studio. Its goal is not only to add something new and refreshing to the square but to also encourage social distancing—a crucial rule during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Removable and water-resistant paint was used for the gridded system and Caret Studio hopes that people will use the squares as a guide to navigating the public square in a safe and conscious manner. In addition to this, StoDistante is planned for other purposes too, including open-air cinemas, gyms, and church services.
Image Credit: Dezeen
Caret Studio's Gridded System Brings Awareness
1. Social Distance-encouraging Installations - The trend of utilizing art installations to promote social distancing continues to increase
2. Removable and Water-resistant Paint - The trend of using innovative materials for public installations opens up opportunities for eco-friendly and sustainable businesses
3. Multi-purpose Installations - The trend of creating installations that serve various purposes allows for flexibility and adaptability in public spaces
1. Public Art and Design - Opportunities for businesses to innovate in public art and design, especially in creating functional installations that address public health concerns
2. Paint and Coatings - Opportunities for businesses in paint and coatings to develop innovative solutions for creating temporary installations
3. Outdoor Events and Services - Opportunities for businesses in outdoor events and services to utilize multi-purpose installations, especially in light of social distancing guidelines