Judging from the look of the front of the Fitzroy House, you probably wouldn't expect this structure to look so radically different from the backyard. However, this is exactly how Techne Architects transformed the landmark Australian property. The homeowners found a need for a space that was more suited to modern life and the new addition to the house addresses these needs with a kitchen, a living room and an open-air pavilion on the upper level.
This pavilion is one of the most dramatic spaces in the addition, since it's an enclosure that's not completely shut out from the surrounding environment. On the lower floor, this connection with nature is reiterated by creating a space that leads from the living room right into an enclosed courtyard.
Additions to the Fitzroy House Update a Landmark Property for Modern Life
1. Modernized Landmark Architecture - There is an opportunity for architects to revitalize and modernize landmark properties while preserving their historical value.
2. Innovative Building Additions - There is an opportunity for builders to create unique and functional additions to existing structures that meet modern needs.
3. Green Space Integration - There is an opportunity for designers to incorporate open-air pavilions and enclosed courtyards that create a connection with nature in urban areas.
1. Architecture - Architects have the opportunity to modernize and revitalize existing landmarks while preserving their historical value.
2. Construction - Builders have the opportunity to create innovative additions to existing structures that meet modern needs.
3. Design - Designers have the opportunity to create functional spaces for modern life that integrate green spaces and a connection to nature in urban areas.