'Feel the Peel' is the name of a unique creation from Italian studio Carlo Ratti Associati that offers a completely eco-friendly orange juice drinking experience. The prototype orange squeezer sets a precedent for circular design, as it turns the waste from citrus fruit peels into a useful material for making the 3D-printed bioplastic cups that the juice is served in.
The experimental juice bar boasts an incredible form that's capped by a circular dome that's made up of 1,500 oranges arranged in a swirling pattern. Beyond being an aesthetically pleasing detail, this system functionally delivers individual oranges to the machine when an order for fresh juice is placed.
While the drinkable portion of the juice is pressed, the rind is collected to make dust that's mixed with PLA to form a useful material for printing.
'Feel the Peel' Serves Fresh Orange Juice in 3D-Printed Citrus Peel Cups
1. Circular Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore circular design principles to create eco-friendly products and reduce waste.
2. 3D Printing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Utilize 3D-printing technology to create customized and sustainable products.
3. Bioplastics - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop bioplastics made from organic waste materials for various applications.
1. Food and Beverage - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate circular design and sustainable practices in food and beverage production.
2. Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporate 3D printing technology in the manufacturing process to enhance efficiency and sustainability.
3. Packaging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the use of bioplastics in packaging materials to reduce environmental impact.