Instead of appealing to children through playful drawings or silly applications, the Etch A Sketch campaign targets adults with phrases that many will never wish to utter in their lifetime. From "Look, half off sushi" to "Laser eye surgery is way cheaper in Kazakstan," the campaign asks, "Don't you wish you could erase all your mistakes?" If only life were like an Etch a Sketch.
Conceived and executed by United States-based ad agency Team Detroit, the Etch A Sketch campaign is very minimal. Set against a bright yellow background, the Etch a Sketch tablets are the rightful focal point of each image. The ad campaign was art directed by Brandi Keeler with creative direction by Gary Pascoe. Copywriter Hannah Smart came up with the hilariously regretful scenarios as well as the tag line.
The Etch A Sketch Campaign Focuses on Regretful Situations
1. Regretful Advertising - Opportunity for brands to engage with adults by highlighting regretful situations in their advertising campaigns.
2. Minimalist Design - Trend of using minimalistic design in advertising campaigns, focusing on a single focal point to capture attention.
3. Playful Messaging - Growing trend of using humorous and witty messaging in advertising to connect with target audience.
1. Advertising - Opportunity for ad agencies and brands to create innovative advertising campaigns that target adults with regretful scenarios.
2. Marketing - Opportunity for marketers to leverage regretful advertising strategies to engage with their target audience and create a strong brand connection.
3. Toy Industry - Opportunity for toy companies to explore the use of nostalgic and playful messaging to capture the attention of adults for their products.