It remains to be seen whether the animals will abide by the rules of the road, but in England there is now such a thing as designated duck lanes. The English canal-adjacent towpaths encourage other humans to me aware of the animals who are often found on the pedestrian and cyclist walkways. The Canal and River Trust launched the campaign, along with the tag line 'share the space, drop your pace.'
The duck lanes can be found throughout London, Manchester and Birmingham. With a goal of preserving the unique and calm environment of the towpaths, the Canal and River Trust created the lanes with duck-shaped road symbols spray painted on the paths and the hashtag #sharethespace.
The Canal & River Trust Launched a Space-Sharing Campaign in England
1. Designated Duck Lanes - Creating designated lanes for specific animal species to ensure their safety and preserve the environment.
2. Space-sharing Campaigns - Launching campaigns to promote shared spaces between humans and animals, creating a more harmonious coexistence.
3. Animal-aware Pedestrian and Cyclist Walkways - Developing walkways that prioritize animal safety and increase awareness among pedestrians and cyclists.
1. Animal Conservatories - Establishing organizations and initiatives that focus on preserving and protecting various animal species and their habitats.
2. Environmental Design - Incorporating animal-friendly designs in urban environments to promote the safety and well-being of wildlife.
3. Tourism and Leisure - Integrating animal-friendly attractions and experiences into tourism and leisure activities, enhancing the value for visitors.