League of Legend's 1,000th skin — the Dawnbringer Karma, and other related items were launched for a good cause. Players were able to opt-in for this philanthropic opportunity between December 12th, 2019 and January 13th, 2020.
League of Legends had pledged that 100% from the proceeds of the Dawnbringer Karma skin, including the related chromas, border set, bundle, Heart bundle, and the 'All Love' emote, were going to support the "newly formed Riot Games Social Impact Funt at ImpactAssets." Through this, League of Legends has the ability to make direct investments "to a wide array of global organizations that are aimed at solving some of the world's most pressing problems."
As 2020 unfolded, players were able to vote on which social cause should benefit from the proceeds from the Dawnbringer Karma skin and items.
Image Credit: League of Legends
League of Legends is Donating 100% of Proceeds from Dawnbringer Karma
1. Charitable Skins - Implementing charitable skins to encourage in-game purchases and support social causes can be a novel way of community engagement for game development companies.
2. Philanthropy Through Gaming - Incorporating social impact initiatives in gaming can contribute to corporate social responsibility objectives and foster positive brand image.
3. Gamification for Social Good - Using gaming as a tool for charitable giving can tap into the widespread appeal and popularity of the industry while also making a meaningful impact.
1. Gaming - Incorporating charitable donations and social impact initiatives in the gaming industry can contribute to community engagement and corporate social responsibility objectives.
2. Social Impact Investment - Social impact investment could be a potentially disruptive industry that aligns for-profit investment with social good objectives.
3. Non-profit Fundraising - Incorporating gaming as a tool for fundraising and charitable donations can be a viable option for non-profit organizations to reach younger and tech-savvy audiences.