We have a ton of technology at our disposal to help us connect long distance with someone who is far away, although one thing that there isn't an app for is that sense of touch. Ariel Cotton's Distance Dolls help to bridge this gap, taking low-tech rag doll toys and embeddine them with sensors to move the doll's arms.
The Distance Dolls work like this: when one person gives their doll a hug, the other doll's arms automatically lift to receive the hug with the use of Arduinos and Arduino GPRS shields. Essentially, the dolls are like cell phones, since it's like one is able to text the other, but instead of letting you know that there's an incoming message, what you're about to receive is a hug.
Ariel Cotton's Distance Dolls Help People Connect Long Distance
1. Sensor-embedded Toys - Opportunities for developing low-tech products with high-tech features.
2. Haptic Communication Devices - Potential for exploring communication devices that integrate tactile stimulation.
3. Digital Touch Simulation - Trend towards developing technology that simulates touch digitally.
1. Toy Manufacturing - Opportunities for innovation in the toy industry for developing interactive and sensory toys.
2. Communication Technology - Innovation opportunities for developing communication technology that incorporates touch and sensor technology.
3. Healthcare - Potential for developing therapeutic devices to help people in quarantine situations or keeping them far away from their loved ones.