In order to prove the merit of programs like Word and PowerPoint in the digital age, Microsoft set up the Collective Project campaign. In competition with a number of apps, tools available for free online and other similar cloud-based services, Microsoft took on the task of appealing to a Millennial audience through social media.
Knowing that traditional banner advertisements were not going to hit home with many informed digital natives, Microsoft pumped up OneNote on social media. Most of this campaign was hosted on Tumblr, but the brand took it further by using Sharethrough's Native Cards. This is a dynamic advertising format that makes it possible to click content without being redirected to anther site. Instead, an advertiser's content becomes hosted on a publisher's page, appealing to Millennials who sometimes don't even have the patience or desire to be redirected to a whole new site.
By using the Sharethrough Tumblr Cards, Microsoft was able to create real-time images, articles and call-to-action prompts that would appear in a user's news feed.
Microsoft's Collective Project Appeals to a Millennial Audience
1. Dynamic Native Advertising - Opportunity to create clickable content hosted on publishers' pages, appealing to Millennials who prefer not to be redirected to other websites.
2. Social Media Marketing - Opportunity to engage Millennial audience through platforms like Tumblr and create real-time content that appears in their news feed.
3. Cloud-based Services - Opportunity to compete with free online tools and apps by demonstrating the value of programs like Word and PowerPoint in the digital age.
1. Advertising - Opportunity for ad agencies to leverage dynamic native advertising formats to capture the attention of Millennials and increase engagement.
2. Technology - Opportunity for technology companies to develop and improve cloud-based services that offer unique features and advantages over free online tools.
3. Social Media - Opportunity for social media platforms to provide targeted advertising solutions and facilitate real-time content creation to attract business advertisers.