The emoji has been hailed as the next modern-day digital dialect, but those who aren't satisfied with the limited emotional range of the emoji family can turn to these Cindy Sherman icons created by New York-based designer Hyo Hong.
Cindy Sherman is a prolific American artist known for her conceptual portraits. Her work often involves her taking on different personas or disguises. Hong was inspired to create the icons in Sherman's image, explaining, “I found iconic connections between her self-portraits and emoticons in terms of various facial expressions from one face.”
Since our emotional expression is more nuanced than a smiling poop face or side-eye emoji, people will continue to search for better ways to express themselves in the digital realm. These Cindy Sherman icons are a pretty good start!
These Cindy Sherman Icons Might Just Replace the Emoji
1. Nuanced Digital Expression - As people seek more nuanced ways to express their emotions digitally, there is an opportunity to develop new forms of digital communication that go beyond traditional emojis.
2. Iconic Personal Representation - The creation of icons based on famous artist Cindy Sherman's self-portraits highlights the potential for personal representation and identity in the digital realm.
3. Art-inspired Digital Communication - The Cindy Sherman icons bridge the gap between art and digital communication, demonstrating the potential for artistic inspiration to disrupt traditional digital expressions.
1. Digital Communication Platforms - The rise of nuanced digital expression calls for the development of platforms and tools that allow for more diverse and personalized digital communication.
2. Graphic Design and Illustration - The creation of artist-inspired icons presents an opportunity for graphic designers and illustrators to innovate in the realm of digital representation and emoticons.
3. Art and Technology Integration - The intersection of art and technology can be explored further to create new forms of digital communication that blend artistic aesthetic with functional representation.