SpaceX served as the inspiration for this carbon fiber lamp from Cosine Additive founder Andrew McCalip, which has been appropriately named the 'Falcon 9 Rocket Chandelier.'
The 3D-printed lamp design boasts a form that resembles the powerful nine first-stage engines of the Falcon 9. The lighting design may be ordered in two different materials: polycarbonate reinforced with glass fiber, or a combination of carbon fiber and PPS, or Polyphenylene sulfide, which is noted as "the highest strength 3D-printed material ever developed." As the fixture must be created within the limitations of additive manufacturing, there are only about 25 of the rocket-inspired lighting units produced each month.
As of today, SpaceX is set to conduct its first test launch flight of Falcon Heavy, which boasts 27 engines.
Image Credit: Andrew McCalip
This 3D-Printed Carbon Fiber Lamp Was Inspired by the SpaceX Launch
1. 3d-printed Lighting - Opportunity for companies to experiment with 3D-printed designs to create innovative lighting fixtures inspired by other companies or industries.
2. Carbon Fiber Products - There is potential for businesses to utilize carbon fiber as a material to create unique and durable products for a variety of applications.
3. Aerospace-inspired Products - Opportunity for companies to take inspiration from the design and aesthetics of aerospace technology and apply it to consumer products to create a futuristic and innovative look.
1. Lighting - Lighting companies can explore innovative designs and materials to create unique and eye-catching lighting fixtures for commercial and residential settings.
2. Advanced Materials Manufacturing - Companies in the manufacturing space can focus on creating and working with advanced materials such as carbon fiber and PPS to develop innovative products and components.
3. Consumer Goods - There is potential for companies in the consumer goods industry to take inspiration from other industries such as aerospace and create unique and innovative products that stand out in the marketplace.