CAMP Rehoboth is an LGBTQ community service organization that operates in Sussex County. After surveying the quality of healthcare providers and practitioners in the region, the organization found out that substantial resources were lacking for the care of the LGBTQ seniors.
In an attempt to stop "going back 'in the closet' when entering an assisted living arrangement," CAMP Rehoboth has decided to run special programming that will make healthcare more readily available to LGBTQ seniors in Sussex County. This will include various training workshops for existing local providers and other organizations that work with this demographic. Training will include topics such as LGBTQ history and gender identity. Moreover, CAMP Rehoboth will encourage various spaces that provide services "to carry LGBTQ-specific literature and post symbols such as the rainbow flag."
Image Credit: CAMP Rehoboth
CAMP Rehoboth Aims to Make the Healthcare System LGBTQ-friendly
1. Inclusive Healthcare - Expanding healthcare services to cater to the specific needs of LGBTQ seniors, ensuring equal access and support.
2. LGBTQ Cultural Competency Training - Providing training workshops for healthcare providers and organizations to enhance their understanding of LGBTQ history, gender identity, and create more inclusive care environments.
3. Lgbtq-friendly Service Spaces - Encouraging service spaces to carry LGBTQ-specific literature and display symbols like the rainbow flag, creating a safe and welcoming environment for LGBTQ seniors seeking healthcare.
1. Healthcare Facilities - Healthcare facilities can adopt inclusive practices and provide resources to support the healthcare needs of LGBTQ seniors, ensuring their comfort and well-being.
2. Training and Education - Training and education institutions can develop specialized LGBTQ cultural competency programs to equip healthcare professionals and organizations with the knowledge and skills to provide inclusive care.
3. Community Services Organizations - Community services organizations can collaborate with healthcare providers to identify and address the specific healthcare needs of LGBTQ seniors, promoting inclusivity and equality within the healthcare system.