There's always a tricky line to toe when it comes to adding an extension on an old, traditional building, but Bureau de Change Architects has found a clever way to add creativity to a London home without straying too far from its historic characteristics. The studio's extension, which it appropriately refers to as 'Step House', consists of a series of jagged right angles made out of the same brick that typifies the home itself as well as all the surrounding buildings in the area.
Bureau de Change's extension is interesting in that it isn't immediately apparent at first glance, even though most onlookers will quickly realize that something isn't quite normal. The jagged brick layout ultimately creates a more creative and sculptural expression of the sandy bricks.
Image Credit: Ben Blossom
Bureau de Change Architect's Home Extension Subverts Tradition
1. Creative Home Extensions - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Exploring unconventional design approaches to home extensions that add creativity and uniqueness while maintaining the historic characteristics of the building.
2. Sculptural Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporating sculptural elements into architectural designs to create visually striking and unconventional buildings and extensions.
3. Seamless Integration of Old and New - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing innovative techniques and materials that seamlessly blend modern extensions with traditional buildings, creating a harmonious aesthetic.
1. Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Architects can explore new design approaches and materials to create unique and visually appealing extensions for historic buildings.
2. Construction - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Construction companies can develop techniques and technologies for seamlessly integrating modern extensions into existing traditional buildings.
3. Interior Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Interior designers can create innovative interior spaces that complement and enhance the unique architectural features of creatively designed home extensions.