The Betra Bak furniture store in Reykjavik was overhauled in 2015 by design firm Ambiente, who infused the space with a dark, dreamy aesthetic. The moody interior now has a dark, low-key ambiance to it that is championed by a delicate cloud-covered ceiling, romantic lighting in ornate fixtures and dark soft fabrics that add texture to the space.
Props decorating the unique space include the antlers of various species native to Iceland, while fleeces on the beds also help bring Icelandic wildlife into the retail space. A particularly idyllic portion of the store is the bed section, where consumers can browse and test out the beds, with the cloud-covered ceiling there to simulate the calmness associated with one's own home.
The Betra Bak Furniture Store Boasts a Rustic, Dark Aesthetic
1. Dark-aesthetic Interior Design - Disruptive innovation opportunities include developing new techniques and materials to create furniture and decor that embody a dark, dreamy aesthetic.
2. Nature-inspired Retail Spaces - Opportunities for disruptive innovation exist in designing retail spaces that incorporate natural elements, such as antlers and fleeces, to create unique and immersive environments.
3. Cloud-covered Ceilings - Innovative ideas could involve creating cloud-covered ceilings in various settings, from retail stores to homes, to evoke a sense of calm and tranquility.
1. Furniture Design - The furniture design industry can explore new materials and innovative techniques to create furniture that embraces dark aesthetics and incorporates natural elements.
2. Interior Design - Opportunities for disruptive innovation in interior design include creating unique retail spaces that transport customers into immersive environments and evoke specific moods and emotions.
3. Lighting Fixtures - The lighting industry can capitalize on the trend of dark, dreamy aesthetics by developing ornate lighting fixtures that enhance the ambience of spaces and create unique lighting effects.