Edwina Robertson is an Australian photographer who traveled nine hours to a rural town afflicted by drought to photograph a wedding. Upon arriving to the wedding, she was shocked by the struggles of the townspeople and felt the sadness even on such a joyous day. The bride's family was forced to sell all their cattle and farm due to the drought-ravaged land.
In an act of charity, Robertson decided to post the picture above on Facebook and vowed each time the picture is shared, she would donate 3 dollars to the suffering town. Unexpectedly, the photo went viral and was shared 4,974 times and Robertson donated $15,000 to a local charity. She has since started a crowdfunding effort to raise money for the town afflicted by drought.
Amazingly, the singular act of posting a rather ordinary wedding photograph was able to spawn enough support to revitalize a suffering town.
This Photographer Pledged to Help a Town Afflicted by Drought
1. Social Impact Photography - Using photography as a means to support charitable causes and bring attention to social issues.
2. Community Fundraising - Utilizing social media and crowdfunding platforms to raise funds and support for struggling communities.
3. Viral Philanthropy - Harnessing the power of social media virality to generate significant charitable donations and create positive impact.
1. Photography - Opportunity for photographers to leverage their skills and platform to make a difference and contribute to social causes.
2. Charity and Non-profit - Non-profit organizations can explore innovative ways to tap into viral trends and social media platforms for fundraising and community support.
3. Crowdfunding - Platforms offering crowdfunding opportunities can highlight the potential of their services to drive significant impact in helping communities in need.