The FIT adjustable prosthetic is an artificial limb built to grow with its user. Designer Oz Benderman created FIT in order to help child amputees in developing countries save money on prosthetics. Since children are constantly growing, having an adaptable prosthetic means that the user is always using a correctly sized limb. As a result, those that don't have easy access to medical treatment can maintain mobile.
FIT works to grow with a child over multiple years. A notched central rod allows the user to lengthen or shorten the prosthetic as needed. Thus, anybody can easily adjust the prosthetic without professional assistance.
Benderman designed FIT to be easily distributable to children with transtibial amputations in developing countries. FIT has the potential to cost less than $10 per unit if mass-produced.
The FIT Adjustable Prosthetic Grows with Its User
1. Adaptable Prosthetics - The trend of developing prosthetics that can grow and adjust with the user, providing a cost-effective and efficient solution for individuals in developing countries.
2. Accessible Medical Solutions - The trend of creating medical solutions that are easily distributable and accessible to individuals in developing countries, such as the FIT adjustable prosthetic.
3. Affordable Healthcare - The trend of developing low-cost healthcare solutions, like the FIT adjustable prosthetic, to make medical treatment more affordable and accessible for all.
1. Medical Technology - The medical technology industry can explore the opportunity to design and produce adaptable prosthetics like the FIT, targeting developing countries and providing affordable healthcare solutions.
2. Healthcare Services - The healthcare services industry can contribute by working towards distributing and providing accessible medical solutions, such as the FIT adjustable prosthetic, to individuals in developing countries.
3. Non-profit Organizations - Non-profit organizations can play a significant role in partnering with designers and manufacturers to mass produce and distribute affordable medical solutions like the FIT adjustable prosthetic to children in developing countries.