Last month, contemporary streetwear brand UNDERCOVER debuted an astronaut-inspired jacket that strongly referenced Stanley Kubrick's 2001: Space Odyssey. The remainder of the label's Fall/Winter 2018 collection is also heavily inspired by the cinematic masterpiece.
Jun Takahashi's range is minimalist and dystopian, actively highlighting the relevance of the relationship between humans and computers. Displayed in an editorial by Bodega, the sci-fi-inspired Fall/Winter 2018 collection pays direct tribute to 2001: Space Odyssey with detail embellishments of 'HAL Laboratories' and 'HAL 9000.' Moreover, the chic pieces in the capsule include a cheerful yellow nuance that directly juxtaposes the cautionary messages of the cinematic inspiration. From the vibrant boots that boast the words 'ORDER' and 'DISORDER' to the 'Human Error'-themed apparel, UNDERCOVER's 2001: Space Odyssey-inspired fashion pieces are sure to win die-hard fans over.
Bodega Highlights UNDERCOVER 2001: Space Odyssey Tribute
1. Astronaut-inspired Fashion - The trend of incorporating space and astronaut themes into fashion, as seen in UNDERCOVER's Fall/Winter 2018 collection, presents opportunities for disruptive innovation in the apparel industry.
2. Cinematic References in Fashion - The trend of referencing iconic movies in fashion, like 2001: Space Odyssey in UNDERCOVER's collection, opens up possibilities for disruptive innovation in the intersection of film and fashion.
3. Dystopian Fashion Aesthetics - The trend of embracing a minimalist and dystopian aesthetic, as showcased in UNDERCOVER's Fall/Winter 2018 collection, creates opportunities for disruptive innovation in the fashion industry, particularly with futuristic and unconventional designs.
1. Apparel Industry - The apparel industry can explore disruptive innovation by integrating astronaut-inspired fashion themes that appeal to space enthusiasts and fashion-forward consumers.
2. Film Industry - The film industry can explore disruptive innovation by collaborating with fashion brands to create cinematically themed lookbooks that showcase iconic movie references and make fashion a part of the storytelling experience.
3. Fashion Industry - The fashion industry can embrace disruptive innovation by incorporating dystopian aesthetics into their designs, offering consumers unconventional and futuristic options that challenge traditional fashion norms.