While the appeal of physical storybooks will hopefully never lose their charm, the Sony Wonderbook helps to bring modernity to traditional storytelling through augmented reality. Part book and part game, the toy makes it so that the action on the pages of a book comes to life before your eyes.
This PlayStation 3 add-on is a book-shaped peripheral and works with a TV to feature animation objects that can be interacted with and sensed through PlayStation Move and the PS3 motion sensor controllers. The Wonderbook includes games like the Book of Spells, Diggs Nightcrawler, Walking with Dinosaurs and even Harry Potter spellbook games that the rights have been granted to. Rather than attempting to replace reading as an activity, this is a fun way to bring together books and gaming.
The Playstation 3 Wonderbook Uses AR to Bring Stories to Life
1. Augmented Reality Storytelling - The use of augmented reality in gaming and storytelling creates an immersive and interactive experience for readers.
2. Physical-digital Integration - The combination of physical books and digital technology opens up new possibilities for creative and interactive storytelling.
3. Multi-sensory Gaming - Integrating various senses, such as touch and sight, in gaming enhances the overall experience and engagement.
1. Publishing - The publishing industry can explore opportunities to create augmented reality storybooks and integrate digital elements into traditional books.
2. Gaming - The gaming industry can incorporate augmented reality technology to enhance storytelling and create new gaming experiences.
3. Education - Educational institutions can leverage augmented reality storybooks to make learning more engaging and interactive for students.