I never would have guessed that Pipi Longstocking could become a fashion icon. Pocahontas with her long double braids, I could see. Whoever or whatever Vivienne Westwood sought her inspiration from, pigtails were prominent in the collection shown in Paris.
The quirky Fall 2008 show had odd fashion pieces and the hair and makeup, which looked more like face paint you'd have done at a county fair, to match. The showed looked like a compilation two young girls would have put together, a combination of their mother's closets and the treasures they found in their dress up box, including pieces from grandmother's old wardrobe.
I'd even suggest a few pieces from dad's collection inspired certain pieces, including shoes which were so square in front, they could have doubled as shovels, and jackets that would be aptly suited for an old history prof. One pinstripe piece was worn with stilts and a hat that looked like it came from grandpa's navy days.
The part that I don't understand is that this is from the designer's Ready-to-Wear collection. Couture, OK, I would understand, but none of these pieces looked as though they were ready to go anywhere beyond a theatrical living room set up.
Vivienne Westwood Gets Odd For Fall 2008
1. Quirky Fashion - Opportunity for designers to embrace unconventional styles and create unique fashion pieces that challenge traditional norms.
2. Nostalgia-inspired Fashion - Potential for designers to draw inspiration from vintage and retro elements, bringing a sense of nostalgia to modern fashion collections.
3. Playful Accessories - Possibility for designers to experiment with whimsical and imaginative accessories that add a touch of playfulness to outfits.
1. Fashion Design - Innovative fashion designers can explore new avenues and push boundaries by incorporating unconventional elements into their collections.
2. Apparel Retail - Retailers can cater to consumers' growing interest in unique and nostalgic fashion by offering a wide selection of quirky and vintage-inspired clothing.
3. Costume Design - Opportunity for costume designers to infuse creativity and unconventional styles into theatrical productions and performances, enhancing the overall visual experience.