Mattel's View-Master stereoscope is being updated with virtual reality capabilities, courtesy of Google's Cardboard VR Tech.
The original product featured a colorful reel, which, when looked at through the device, were seen in 3D effect. The virtual reality View-Master, on the other hand, replaces the reel with a smartphone. The reels can still be bought separately, however, in order to create different experiences, which Mattel refers to as "360-degree photospheres." Mattel senior vice president Doug Wadleigh explains, "We're creatively trying to figure out ways to use the old imagery in ways that enhance the new experience."
The updated View-Master really, truly has it all: the retro stylings of the original device, paired with modern VR technology.
Mattel Partners with Google to Bring Back the View-master
1. Retro Virtual Reality - Combining vintage aesthetics with cutting-edge technology in the form of virtual reality devices.
2. Mobile VR - Utilizing smartphones as the primary platform for virtual reality experiences, making it more accessible to consumers.
3. Hybrid Experiences - Blending classic analog elements with digital technology to create unique and immersive experiences.
1. Toy Manufacturing - Opportunity for toy manufacturers to revamp and modernize classic products by incorporating virtual reality technology.
2. Entertainment - Potential for the entertainment industry to create new and engaging experiences by merging retro and virtual reality elements.
3. Photography - Application of 360-degree photospheres in photography, offering users an immersive way to capture and view images.