KAWS, an American artist and designer, has a pop art painting called 'UNTITLED (STORMTROOPERS)' which is inspired by Andy Warhol's creative practice. The painting is an acrylic on-photo canvas piece and is done in KAWS' contemporary style, taking inspiration from Andy Warhol's Do-It-Yourself series. 'UNTITLED (STORMTROOPERS)' is one of KAWS' early works, incorporating recognizable elements like KAWS' mask and coiling snake design. These artistic elements relegate the Stormtroopers, a symbol of order and fear, to comical cartoons, ultimately robbing them of their power.
'UNTITLED (STORMTROOPERS)' is being auctioned off at Phillips' 20th Century & Contemporary Art & Design sale with the price starting at over $200,000. The genuine KAWS art piece is signed and dated, assuring its authenticity. Phillips' art auction will begin on June 7th, 2021.
Image Credit: Luxury Launches
KAWS' 'UNTITLED (STORMTROOPERS)' is Inspired by Andy Warhol's Style
1. Pop Art Nostalgia - Using inspiration from historic pop art pieces to recreate contemporary paintings or products.
2. Disrupting Traditional Art Sales - Incorporating modern techniques like online auctions or blockchain authentication into art sales.
3. Subversive Art - Taking traditional symbols or icons and manipulating them to create messages of subversion or satire.
1. Art Auction Houses - Finding new and innovative ways to sell art, such as online auctions or incorporating blockchain technology for authentication.
2. Galleries and Museums - Adapting to new trends in contemporary art that focus on satire, subversion, and nostalgia to attract and engage visitors.
3. Contemporary Art Collectors - Investing in subversive or nostalgic pieces that push boundaries and disrupt traditional ideas of what art is or should be.