Houston-based artist and designer Dozie Kanu embarked on a multi-platform project involving of a range of unconventional furnishings. As an exhibit for Milan Design Week 2018, the creations are debuting at the art gallery Spazio Maiocchi.
The unconventional furnishings were developed by Dozie Kanu for RIMOWA and Milan-based creative studio and magazine KALEIDOSCOPE. The pieces are highly sculptural and functional, yet at first glance, they might cause some confusion due to their conceptual nature—Dozie Kanu crafted his unconventional furnishings by making use of luggage parts.
Along with the sculptural pieces, the collaborators launched a short film and a small photo zine. This ultimately gives an interdisciplinary media approach to the project, allowing the audience to experience the exhibit from multiple points of view.
Dozie Kanu Collaborated with Rimowa and Kaleidoscope
1. Unconventional Furnishings - Opportunity for artists and designers to push the boundaries of traditional furniture design by creating functional pieces using unconventional materials.
2. Multi-platform Projects - Opportunity to create immersive experiences by combining various mediums such as film, photography and sculpture.
3. Interdisciplinary Media Approaches - Opportunity to showcase creative work from multiple perspectives, allowing for a more enriched and engaging experience.
1. Art and Design - Opportunity for artists and designers to collaborate with companies and create unique and functional pieces.
2. Luggage Manufacturing - Opportunity for luggage manufacturers to collaborate with artists and designers to repurpose their products for unconventional uses.
3. Media and Entertainment - Opportunity for creative studios and media companies to collaborate with artists and designers to create immersive and multidisciplinary projects.